Monday, July 27, 2015

Entry - July 27, 1936

Just came back from another fire. Slept out on the Lincoln Ridge in the open in sleeping bags for the last five days. Saw ten or twelve bear, two sets of twin cubs and three cinnamon brown cubs and one enormous black bear which stood about seven feet off the ground standing on his hind legs. 

We got lost on the way to the fire and went about six miles out of our way to the Sperry Chalets. We also saw quite of few deer on the way and back to the fire. We saw one with a broken leg that had headed over again and we fed it because it looked pretty helpless. 

I am pretty nervous today because the fire took away most of my energy. 

I received a package from home today with a ring and a package of Camel cigarettes and the ring had my birth stone in it, a ruby. I sure do appreciate both of these presents. 

I bought a foil today. It is a sword used for practice. It cost me two dollars and a half. I am learning how to sword fight. 

I have made friends with an indian named Martin Floyd and he certainly is a prince of a fellow. He lives in Kalispell with his aunt and he ferried our company last week with a new bunch of rookies. 

It is predicted that we will move to Salt Lake City about the fifteenth of September. I have got a week time off for my services during the fire and I intend to make good use of it. 

The lake is getting better all the time but it is still ice cold and I guess it will stay that way the rest of the summer. 

I bought a white sleeveless sweater today but I don’t know what I will do with it till I get home. 

uneventfull.

Robert

-------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Comments From Chris -

There are two primary tribes of Indians in the Glacier National Park area; Blackfoot and Kootenai. A significant portion of the eastern side of the park was actually purchased from the Blackfoot in 1895, although there were many disagreements over the terms afterwards. The Blackfoot reservation still borders the eastern side of the park today.

On a personal note, I've always wanted to learn how to fence. How fun would have it been to fence with Robert at this time.


Robert with a bear
From Robert's CCC Photo Collection



The Sperry Chalets are in the lower middle
Robert's 1936 Glacier National Park Map



2 comments:

  1. Chris, I have two fencing foils that belonged to Dad. He told me he got them while in the CCC. A guy he met there was teaching him to use them.
    Marty

    ReplyDelete