Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Entry - October 7, 1936

12.00 PM Well we finally got here in Fort Sheridan today. Its raining to be the devil himself out side right now.

This old place sure is familiar to me. I hope we don’t stay here long.


Robert

-----------------------------------------
Comments from Chris

"I hope we don't stay here long". He won't. Soon after he will be going to up to Wisconsin to Camp Finley.

While digging through my notes I came across a postcard from Robert to his mother. It was exactly three years to the day in 1933 when Robert had arrived at Fort Sheridan for his first term in the CCC. A 17 year Robert wrote this postcard telling his mother he had arrived safely. Interesting coincidence.

The post card reads -

Dear Mom,

I am just writing you a few lines to tell you I arrived safe. I am having a swell time except the cold wind which comes off of Lake Michigan. We are about 50 yards from the lake. I will write a letter with full details when I get time and money.

Your Son
Robert Fitzgerald



Robert's 1933 letter telling his mom he arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment