Thursday, October 1, 2015

Entry - October 1, 1936

6.00 P.M. Today I start a new term in the c.c.c. as the old one ended last night. Looks like winter is about to set in for good. Put on my long underwear today. It sure does feel good too.

(Sometime I wish I could hibernate like a bear)


Robert

-------------------------------------------------
Comments from Chris

This starts Robert's fourth term. I really wish I had more information on what he did during this term, but what I have falls off after the journal ends. This may be something I come back to later on after this project is complete and I can dig up more information. 

I've been thinking about how this time in the CCC affected Robert. If you remember, he left high school to go into the program, was there for six months, came back home for a year to graduate school and then goes back for 18 months. All of this at an influential time in his life. It must of had a lasting affect as I'm sure it did with many of the enrollees. Also remember, this is the generation which went on to be called the "Greatest Generation". 

Below is one of my favorite pictures in the series.



Robert in Back Row with Hand Up
From Robert's CCC Photo Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment